Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Love Vigilantes

We've found a new activity, the boy of complex description and I. First introduced to me a long time ago by the clients I took on long canoe adventures in the northern wilderness and then reintroduced to me by my brother a few short weeks ago. Geocaching. Modern day treasure hunting with a gps and a laptop. But, yes friends who don't know, it does actually involve wilderness a lot of the time. Like when the bocd had to climb all over that tree to find the cache that didn't turn out to be there or when I cursed the fact that I'd worn shorts and sandals and then found myself knee high in a wild raspberry patch (which, btw, I'm going back to pick next week).

It's a family event too, Sam running around us, dragging his leash in and out of puddles, sniffing out bunnies - really not interested in treasure at all. His treasure is the smelly liquids left by other animals... ewwww.

It's the finding and the opening that gets me so excited. And the fact that there's been a treasure in a place I've passed so many times, and not known. Just waiting to be discovered. Just waiting to be read and pawed through. And the community. All these treasure hunters, doing their thing, expressing themselves in their own small way. Leaving love letters for strangers.

And because we can't do anything simply, the bocd and I, we've chosen a name and made logos - stickers and tags. And we are designing our own caches to delight the members of the geocaching community. Why the love vigilantes? Well, it's our mantra, I suppose. To love and in turn to appreciate and respect. And even if you think that we are foolish romantics, you'll still smile when you find our love letters, I'm sure of it.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment